Friday, November 21, 2008

Getting my protein!

As I told you in an earlier post...I had researched protein before my surgery......I found two that I used all the time. When I can afford it I use Shaklee products...I really do think that they are the best. They are completely natural and my blood work confirmed that it was worth using..Cinch and Meal Shake. I also used their liquid vitamins and children's chewable for the same reasons...they are all natural. You do pay a price for the best...although you can get all you money back if your not satisfied. When I can't afford the Shaklee...I use the Whey Protein from Walmart (you can only buy it at the store but here is the picture.) I always buy the vanilla because I can add chocolate to that or make a fruit smoothie or whatever I am in the mood for!! :)

I still use protein almost everyday. I have not had any problems with my blood work or energy level...except when I had a really bad kidney infection and then an allergic reaction to the antibiotic and I started bleeding internally...none of this was related to the surgery, I had kidney infections prior to my WLS. My iron levels were so low that they wanted to give me blood transfusions...I asked for a few weeks to see if I could get those levels up, I am afraid of blood transfusions. I felt awful..... the lack of energy and the horrible headaches!! I was diligent and I divided my liquid vitamins into small portions throughout the day....I increased my chicken, fish and spinach and in 2 weeks I had brought it up significantly...but it took 2 months to get it back to normal. I am thankful that I do not suffer from low iron!

No comments: