Sunday, January 18, 2009

We all Scream for Icecream!


I have a couple of things on my mind......It has been over 3 years since my surgery and I pretty much know what triggers a dumping episode. I avoid these things...I do not like dumping! For me....it may last 10 min. but more often it lasts for about 45 min.....I do not have 45 min to spare in my day therefore I do not tempt fate! SOOOOOO. Friday night is family night here at the Helms. We watch a movie...play board games...order pizza...drink soda...and eat ice cream. I do not feed my kids junk all week....they get enough of that everywhere else...they are not deprived! I have always felt like junk aught to be the exception and not the rule...unfortunately many families are the total opposite. If you give your baby soda in a sippy cup.....STOP!!!

Anyway we all enjoy this night very much....kids love traditions and we have been doing this one for about 8 years. I of course skip the soda, icecream and usually eat the topping off of the pizza....which I enjoy very much! This Friday night I made myself a little baby..baby cup of icecream....maybe two tablespoons. Now one of my worst dumping episodes happened about 3 months after surgery with...icecream. Why might you ask am I trying it again???? I DO NOT KNOW!!! I wanted a little??? :) I have skim milk with my cereal, I even eat some soups that have heavy cream.....I use 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar in my tea.......what else is in icecream....maybe the first time was just because it was too soon after surgery??

It was HORRIBLE!!! 10 min. after I ate it..I was on the hopper...where I stayed through half of the movie! My kids kept coming upstairs to see if I was OK. Yes we are pretty free here:) It was not worth it...I will not be trying that again! Not a problem because I can assure you that the ability to bend over and tie my shoes is worth so much more to me than icecream!

No comments: